Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Orlygg's First Commission: Chaos Champion of Nurgle for Stuart Klatcheff

Stuart recently asked me to paint a miniature for him, as part of a trade deal and I was more than happy to do so. He had selected the famous 'pointy skeleton' example from his collection, with strict instructions to Nurglify him up. He wanted something a bit different for the shoulder pad and I suggested red, knowing from experience that a dark crimson works wonders with the plague lord. 

I used my now normal method to prepare the model for painting. A white undercoat followed by the base colours. Over this I liberally covered with my own homebrew ink wash, which is made up from chestnut, dark brown and a little red, and set aside to dry. This was the day before BOYL and I have spent the last couple of evenings working on him. The model was a bit of a departure for me as it was the first time I had used Foundry paints as I have to say, they are easily the best paints I have ever used. Gradually, I intend to move over to their system as my older pots run low. 

I bought the bone triad of colours and used them to work up the detail on the top half of the model. I found the paint to be quite fluid and didn't have to include as much water as I normally do to get the control I was after. Using each shade in sequence made things easy and the bone was soon worked up nicely. 

The shoulderpad was base coated in a red/brown ink mix and them highlighted up through adding additional blobs of red paint to the mix. The final highlights are pure yellow though, and I find that adding yellow in this way gives a very striking colour indeed. 

The cloak was an exact copy of the technique I used on my recent evil sorcerer model, only I used a different shade of green as my basis and worked up the highlight by adding the brightest bone shade in the Foundry triad. 

The sword was easy too, just a gold and silver basecoat washed over with a couple of layers of brown ink. I drushbrushed over the blade with progressively brighetr shades of silver but chose to leave the gold untouched, save for a fine bright silver highlight on the hilt. Over this I added my homemade verdigris wash to help age the weapon and give it that Nurgle look.  I added a couple of gemstones to the pommel using the standard method for such things. 

I wasn't sure whether to do just my standard base or to add static grass or flock, so in the end I opted to do both. Overall, I am very pleased with the result and I hope that Stuart is too. I have a section commission to do shortly, as soon as a suitable figure can be found, for Steve 'Citadel Collector' Casey, which will be a little more ambitious and involves something I have wanted to do for sometime. Keep your eyes peeled for that when it comes! 



  1. Wow. I too was lucky enough to paint the famous pointy skeleton guy (eight years ago now!). I always wanted one, and he popped up on eBay on a slow day. Other than that cool bloody skull shoulder pad, I think you painted him very much the way I did ( Anyway, this is definitely one of the classic sculpts and you gave it the paint job it deserves!

  2. Great result, I´m sure Stuart will be happy with the result!

  3. Looks great, I can't wait to see the next commission. I'll have to remember to try verdigris as well. I've been a little fixated on rust lately. And thanks for the pictures from BOYL, very nice indeed.