Sunday 24 August 2014

Preslotta Ral Partha Werebear



Just a quick post to share the model I painted up last night. A bit of a departure for me as it isn't Citadel, but Ral Partha and is apparently a model of a werebear- whatever a werebear might be- from 1983. Cast in England. I intend to use it as an ogre or small giant, most likely in a barbarian force. After painting chaos for some long and thinking about units and so forth I fancied doing something totally different. I picked this model up online a while back for pence really, and always loved the face so thought it worthy of some time. 

I wanted to play about with two things with this paintjob. Firstly, I wanted to develop my flesh painting skills and adopt a new colour palette, so instead of darkening the basecolour of flesh with red ink, I used an orange instead and I am really rather pleased with the results, especially on the face. Speaking of the face, isn't it wonderfully sculpted and full of character, something (to be anyway) that digital sculpting just cannot achieve. Secondly, I want to work on detailing faces properly and really took the time to blend the hairline into the face, something quite simple to do with a larger model.



The base is a bit bare for a model of this size so I intend to add some mushrooms and rocks with putty at a later date.

All in all, I am very pleased with the results, especially considering that I only spent about three hours on him.

What do you dear readers think of him?

Orlygg

7 comments:

  1. James - when I was looking at your bases at BOYL, I got the impression that you paint the green onto them? You're not actually using a flock of sort? Could you explain your base?

    As for the figure - it's nice to see something so simple looking so good. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Garth... And you are quite correct about simplicity - a model doesn't need to be crammed with detail to be effective! The base was very easy to achieve and I have published a tutorial that guides people through my old school method in handy steps...

      You can find it here....

      http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/goblin-green-and-lots-of-it-orlyggs-old.html

      Delete
  2. Nice work. Ral Partha and Grenadier did some really cool giant figures in the 80's that give the citadel figures from that era a run for their money. Well worth collecting and painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite agree. I think my personal favourite non-Citadel model is probably the very Conan-esque barbarian on a tiger from the Grenadier range. Its still available I think!

      Delete
    2. This miniature is a bit of an oddity. you may have noticed the word Were Ansell on the top of the base - it's basically a head-swap conversion of the Citadel WF16 Midlands Troll. I think the Citadel version came first, and the fact it was 'made in England' probably meant it was cast in the Citadel factory.

      This one originally came with a rather nice bear - it's still available from one of either Iron Wind or RP Europe.

      Delete
  3. Were Bears (and Tigers, Foxes. Etc) featured in Dungeons and Dragons varoius versions, IIRC they were a netrual in nature, whilest Were Wolves were chaotic, at least one Were creature was lawful....

    ReplyDelete