Friday 29 August 2014

Acceptable in the '80s: Dark Elf Cavalry and Cold One Riders


We have reached issue 125 of White Dwarf now in our history of Warhammer Third Edition and the big releases this month are the excellent Marauder Dark Elf Cavalry and Cold One Riders. I have seen a number of very well painted versions of these models over the last couple of years and I have always fancied having a go at them myself. Sadly, I have yet to win any auctions for any of these beautiful models!

Let's a have a look at them then shall we?


The first thing that may well strike you when studying these models are the distinct differences between them and the Bob Naismith range from three years before. These models are chunkier and more military in their look. I don't know about you, but there seems to be a late Roman feel in the design, especially with the cavalry figures on the top of the page. 

It appears to my eyes that there is a single creature model ( an armoured horse and cold one) and a range of interchangable bodies and weapons. Lots and lots of options then, and perhaps more importantly, a range of attachable weapons, showing once again a sign of things to come. 

The second page from this advert shows off those addition weapons in line drawn extra detail. 


Spears, hand weapons and crossbows certainly give you plenty of options when it comes to putting these models together and reminds me very much of the more recent GW box sets from which you can build different types of units. The small print at the top of the ad conforms this, telling us that units of 'Doomsteeds, Dark Riders, Helldrakes and Doomdrakes' can be created from these models. 

The painted colour schemes are also worth a mention, with the orange, red and black look being quite striking. I have always painted my dark Elves in golds and purples and these two units have shown me that other schemes work just as well. 


Well, before I disappear int the ether of the Realms of Chaos of the 1980s once more, I shall leave you with this advert for the original GW Warhammer Novels. Expect a series of posts about this books coming in the weeks ahead as I hope to re-read them and review them for your old school enjoyment!

Orlygg

No comments:

Post a Comment