Another day in lockdown... another three familiars painted up in the sunshine. I feel a bit headachey now (is that a word?) as I was so enthralled with these figures I forgot to drink enough. Ha! So I am enjoying an apple squash as I type.
Daemonet was completed first. I had previously painted him up in red but wasn't happy with the result at all. I couldn't capture the character of the face well enough. In frustration I covered him in a purple wash and left him for a few days. Picking him up this morning, I stuck with the purple theme and just went with it. Picking out the detail on the face with pink highlights. The eyes were basecoated in yellow, washed in orange ink and then highlighted back up to yellow again. The hands and feet mirrored the same colour mx as the face. Again on a whim, I used a nice blue (mixed with a tiny bit of the purple basecoat) to drybrush on the fur. I used a second coat of drybrushing, added a little sky blue to the recipe. Bleached bone picked out the horns and he was done.
The Armoured Mite was a bit of a triumph for me. Long time readers will know I struggle with metal armour. I bought a fine sliver paint and put it to good use here for the final highlight. He was pretty straightforwards as most of the depth on this model was created with black and blue ink washes. I then drybrushed a dark silver back over the model before picking out the edge highlights with the bright silver. I feel a little more confident about painting armour now and will need to work on this technique soon.
The Creeping Claw familiar ended up pivoted on the base. I know a lot of people place it flat but I decided to use the tiny slotta this figure has to suggest that the hand is rearing up. I used a flesh colour mixed with green to suggest decay and built up the highlights by adding additional layers of flesh and bleached bone. I used brown and orange ink washes to suggest filthy brown nails. The gold ring was painted using my usual method for gold. Dark gold basecoat, chestnut ink and highlights using a lighter gold. I tried not to use any silver in the highlight for a rich tone that contrasts well with the pale flesh. I dribbled a little red ink around the stump to suggest oozing horror. Hope you like it.
I switched cameras back to my old phone. I think it takes a better picture in natural light. So I reshot the previous familars on their own. Here is the Beastling again.
A less blurry shot of the Ironclad Imp. I am glad I didn't add additional highlights now, as the blue looks rich and magical here.
The Toad (also known as Wart) needs a little work on the feet I think. But this is a better photograph of him.
Skeletal Minion looks more in focus too, and that candle looks great when photographed. I am glad I took the trouble to repaint it in red to add some variation to the colour scheme.
Finally, the Daemonette. I am wondering if I should go back and try and add eyes. But these models are extremely small and my eyesight is not what it was!
Hope you like what you see.