What better model to represent the rebirth of my collection but C17's Skeleton Rising, sculpted in 1987 by Aly Morrison. All of his skellies have that signature skull on them and are full of character. This one was great fun to paint today and didn't take me very long. I played around a bit with my usual bone mix, this time adding a little orange/brown washes to the joints and rib cage. I've done things like this before and noticed it on some of my older undead models.
I know how he feels pulling yourself out of the grave like this... There is a second model in this style that I know of that I sadly never got my hands on. He was from a later skeleton release and was called Dygger I think. He held a long lance and was also emerging from the ground. I'm pretty sure there was another one in this series too now I think about it. Grave Skulker or something like that.
Not much time in the workshop today. I've started another night horror and begun work on restoring some chaos centaurs. The following figures all escaped their five years in captivity unscathed and needed nothing but a little dusting down.
LE12 Thrud with Axe needs no introduction. Released in 1986 in celebration of the popular comic strip character he is one a several Thrud inspired models to be released. There was an earlier preslotta model that I recall owning but I have no idea whatever happened to it as I don't think it ever got painted. This one is the best of the bunch in my opinion and is more important as it appears in a black and white shot from the Warhammer Fantasy Battle Third Edition rulebook. It was always a model I was interested in collecting long before I knew exactly what it represented. Thrud remains a link back to a more varied, community spirited era for White Dwarf where it was much more of a magazine than an advert/sales rag for a big compnay.
I'm pretty sure this one was by the Perry Twins. It is the 10th anniversary model in celebration of White Dwarf. Based on the famous painting that adorned the issue number of the magazine for many years and released in 1987. He is a lovely and characterful fellow just yearning for some goblin heads to chop.
And finally, Gobbledigook. This figure is a preslotta original and was part of the SS6 White Dwarf Personality set released in 1984. Like Thrud he was a regular character for a while in White Dwarf appearing in his own strange little strips. Considering this figure is so tiny, he survived the 'Lost Weekend' of my miniature collection really rather well. There is another equally tiny figure sitting with me who needs a little work before I share him again.
Look out for that four legged friend next post!
Orlygg




No comments:
Post a Comment