Saturday 30 July 2016

Orlygg Rides Again (again!)

Some days, I have felt as tired and grumpy as this orc bloke.

After many false starts and near teetering collapses I have finally moved house! A week ago we had the packers in to box up our old home and prepare us for the ten mile journey deeper into rural Essex and we officially 'sold' the house this past Monday. The last six days has been spent unpacking, arranging and organising our possessions - not to mention a sizable Old School Citadel stash that had to be carefully manoeuvred so the wife remained unaware of its true scale!

And no, the removals men were not required to shift my painted collection. You may recall one of my earlier posts about how best to shift my painted models, and in the end I opted to using deep sided boxes and ranking all my figures inside. I found that by cramming them all inside, their tendency to fall over was restricted nicely. I asked my father-in-law to care for them in the meantime as no-one I know is as pernickety about safety or security than he.

I am resisting the urge to scrawl 'Blood on the Streets' in a spidery hand across walls or some other utterance from Warhammer Townscape.

Our new home is far larger and immeasurably older than our previous abode. Nestled on the outskirts of a historic Essex village and part of a conservation area, the building dates back to the 16th century. Subsequently, its aspect has a certain Phil Lewisesque Warhammer cottage look about it, and I have already decided to recreate the building in miniature out of foamboard and cardboard.

For once, my entire collection is housed in a single room and is easily available to me. A makeshift painting table was set up last night and the furniture around it cleverly hides everything I have amassed over the years. In time, I want to buy a Victorian or Georgian bureau with a sliding hatchfront to convert into a more permanent set up, but this chopped up old desk will do the honours in the meantime.


Things should go back to normal now, though my ability to post will be restricted to the fact that my computer is currently being used by the kids to watch television on. Sky TV have yet to manage a suitable connection for us and cannot get an engineer out until the end of August to deal with our receiver, so blogging will have to play second fiddle to Holby City and the Lingo Show, for a while at least.

Still, I feel much more positive about getting creative after such a long rut in disinterested street. I blame the uncertainty for the house move for that and I am lucky enough to be only a handful of days about from the BOYL4 and I am bound to absorb inspiration aplenty from there. In the meantime, I have a few Nurgle pieces to work on and a few goblinoid pieces too, not to mention the final touches to another Old School Citadel interview!

We will speak soon.

Orlygg



12 comments:

  1. Give you joy of your new home,can't wait to see it recreated on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I have the foamboard and balsa wood ready, though I am not sure what scale to use yet. Perhaps inline with the height of the door ways on the Phil Lewis fantasy cottage I mentioned in the post? We will have to wait and see.

      Delete
  2. Wow what a place. Congratulations on the move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house looks magnificent, full of character and as you say wouldn't look out of place in the Warhammer world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Crucium Giger! It is even more in keeping with the Warhammer world when you find out the last person killed for being a witch in England suffered trial by water in the brook outside your front door and that a very famous medieval soldier of fortune was born and raised in the same village! Great material for a scenario! (:

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your upcoming epic battle with "Sky".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon if I cheat using the chaos mutation table they won't have a chance!!

      Delete
    2. Is that what you're calling it? I just call it me painting desk...................

      Delete
  5. Sky TV's stellar service still the same...

    Moving back to the US in '97 and couldn't get them to cancel the service within a specified week, stated in a letter, sent about over three months in advance, IIRC. The first time I inquired about cancellation, the customer rep on the phone almost had a panic attack, but after she calmed down, informed me of a letter requirement. As soon as Sky received the letter, within a week, service was cancelled and it took two days and conversations with customer service people, who'd hang up in my face for no reason, to restore service, as they weren't going to refund the difference.

    Maybe I'm spoilt, but here I can't get the cable company to send over someone within a few days, I could negotiate some perks, especially as my current residence has access to Comcast and RCN and they wouldn't want to lose to a competitor - the former's still trying to woo me back.LoL

    Aside from the movers, nearly everyone tried to rip us off in that summer - Marshall Cavendish still owes me about 12 issues of Treasures of the Earth.

    Good luck getting settled in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, we have been spared such an ordeal. They have offered us some new internet television thing and Sky Go which as appeased the wife and kids. I don't watch television so am indifferent.

      Delete
  6. I have to be honest, Sky customer support are pretty good, in stark contrast with the evil personified by their CiC. As a fellow country dweller, albeit in a 19th century cottage in the Shropshire Hills, I am most impressed with your new pad.

    ReplyDelete