Sunday, 5 July 2026

More for the Horde, 1989 Witch Elf and Foundry Fighter


After an incredibly prolific May, June ended up being a ghost town here at Realm of Chaos 80s. What with the two heatwaves (one of which I remained in school as we closed), landscaping the back garden (trying to keep newly laid turf alive in said heatwaves) and the normal end of year at school nonsense I've hardly had the time to pick up a paintbrush. 

Of course, I have dabbled. The workshop is now well organised and set out for serious miniature painting. I've managed to pick up a few random pieces of old lead too, though I will be staying well clear of the new ogre re-release by Games Workshop. I thought it rather cynical of them to separate the Jes Goodwin classics and merge them with the Marauder sculpts. In odd moments, I've slinked off to the workshop and finished off these three skeletons for my long delayed Skeleton Horde project. 

They were completed in much the same way as my other skeletons. Exact same colour recipe of Orc Brown and Bleached Bone over a chestnut wash. Of course, I took the opportunity to create some more freehand shield designs. You can see my efforts below.


The centre example is my favourite ever painted skull shield. After eighteen months of dabbling, I am getting the hang of the shape and character of a good skull. Having a large shield with plenty of painting space also helps as painting smaller skulls is much more of a challenge, as you can see from the yellow background and green background examples here. Still, they are in keeping with the era I love and am inspired by. Hope you think so too. 


Here are the new skellies ranked up with their comrades. I've still go a fair few skeleton infantry to crack on with. Perhaps inspiration will call over the summer which is mere two weeks away?


I also finished off this Bob Naismith Witch Elf. She was one of my dreaded 'unfinishables' and has been sitting gathering dust for many, many years. I have a large cache of unwanted figures from the glory days of Oldhammer. Unwanted by me I should point out. All started and never finished for whatever reason. Some of them I dread to even look at but they sit now in my workshop in my eye line and I will slowly work through them which inspiration strikes. 

The colour scheme remained exactly as I have envisioned all those years ago. I just completed the highlighting on the hair, armour and books. The sculpting on this model has a chunky feels, especially around the arms and the knives she carried and that makes her feel quite different from the Goodwin style elves. Even so, I am glad she is finally free to face the tabletop. I've got other dark elves kicking about and I think I'll stick with this colour scheme if I ever get around to painting them. 


Of course, she appears in White Dwarf 109 (my first ever issue) and I can remember the article well from my youth. It explored the background of the evil side of the Elf family and I can recall enjoying peering at these models with the hope of young, that perhaps they would all somehow fall into my possession for free. I ended up with the clampack of Mengil Manhide's Dark Elves and I still have a few of the models kicking about today, unearthed in a packed of photographs in my mother's loft not that long ago. Bizarrely, the photographs were not even mine! 


Finally, we have this rather lovely fighter. He is not Citadel but I am sure he was part of the Fighters range and some point. He comes from Foundry and was in one of their ranges. I expect I was given him years back and made an attempt to paint him up all Landsknecht style. My concentration or skill level was clearly lacking that day as I gave up on him at the shading stage. I was lovely to work him back up over the last few weeks, dabbling and taking my time. I found an old plastic Citadel shield and restored that up for him, keeping the hole and the socket on his arm sound. I usually file them off and fill in the gap but didn't worry about it this time. 


As I said, the end of the school year is fast approaching and I am hoping for another 'Summer of Citadel' though I am going to be more focussed on painting up interesting figures rather than trying to relearn my painting skills. Looking back, last year's figures weren't really the most interesting or inspiring pieces. But that was due to how limited my collection was at that time. I also hope to carry out a couple more of my scenery hopes. I have the ruined temple and hedges, fences and walls to complete as well as my new gaming table too. 


Just got to get through another heatwave first! 

Orlygg

13 comments:

  1. Well done. Remarkable to paint anything in the current climate. The Naismith dark elves are sadly overlooked, but offer a great variety of poses. Not so easy to rank them up unfortunately, but combined with the marauder minis they work well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes it was horrible wasn't it? I know the summer is often a quiet period for hobbies like this but I doubt anyone would have seriously wanted to paint in my workshop. It has no windows and only one door. Hot as hell... though paint dries fast in there :)

      Delete
  2. Definitely IS a Citadel fighter, there are four or five variants of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know the exact range or WD number

      Delete
  3. Absolutely delightful! I love all of them, so different and so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see the Horde expanding, and I agree, that skull shield is amazing.
    Lovely Fighter too.
    I think I'd have struggled with that Witch Elf, there's something odd about the anatomy to me, love the hair colour though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is an odd one. I think the massive shoulders and the yawning mouth don't help. (;

      Delete
  5. Those freehand skull shields are genuinely impressive, especially that center one—eighteen months of practice really shows. I've been using Spinmama to catalog and track my own old lead collection, and it's been a lifesaver for keeping tabs on what I've actually got versus what's gathering dust in boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Painting classic fantasy miniatures is a rewarding hobby because it lets you experiment with different color schemes and small details while bringing each figure to life. Even older models can look impressive with a fresh coat of paint and a bit of patience. More gaming and entertainment content is available at slotexo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Che fantastico approfondimento sul mondo fantasy degli anni ’80! Le miniature e i personaggi come la strega e l’elfo hanno un fascino unico, soprattutto per chi ama le atmosfere epiche e il lavoro creativo dietro ogni dettaglio. È bello vedere come questi universi continuino a ispirare nuove generazioni di appassionati. Per chi cerca anche altri modi di divertirsi online, ho trovato interessante dare un’occhiata a duospin, che offre un’esperienza di intrattenimento diversa ma sempre coinvolgente.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Herbal Dr Kham Herbal Remedies Products is the best to Eradicate Herpes Virus 1&2, Herbal medication is the quick relief that works for two weeks to reduce outbreak and cure you completely from HSV1&2, Do you need herbal products to cure your Herpes Disease contact Dr. Kham to help and he will surely help you to cure your Herpes Virus in two weeks time. I have suffered from Herpes Virus for 4 years that almost took my life, but one day I was searching for the possible cure on the internet, so luckily I found so many Reviews about Dr. Kham on how he helps people in curing their deadly diseases, and I contacted Dr. Kham asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. He prepared a powerful Herbal medicine for me and I received herbal medicine and after using it for 2 weeks my condition has greatly improved, All my symptoms/outbreak has stopped, So I went to my doc and was confirmed negative. I am Herpes Virus free! contact this Herbal Dr Kham via his email dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +2348159922297 Kindly Visit his Website: https://herbalistdrkhamcaregiver.simdif.com for more info.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Review about Herbal Doctor Kham Remedies products that cured me from herpes virus 1&2 in two (2)weeks of taking the dosage, Thank God I gave Doc Kham a chance to cure me, I saw so many comments about him on how his product can get rid of herpes virus and other diseases and infection, this man is 100% real. Well, I notice there are still other fake herbal doctors online who have scammed me before, thank God for coming across Herbal doctor Kham, I am perfectly cured from the virus and my result came out negative after taking doctor Kham herbal remedies for two weeks. This cure is real, I can not keep this healing to myself because I know a lot of people are dying silently of this virus thinking there is no cure. I have been scammed several times so I do not want you to fall victim to those fake herbal doctors outside. That is why I refer you to the right herbal doctor which is Doctor Kham, Thank you so much Doctor Kham. I will forever publish your Good work in my life. You can contact him on WhatsApp on +234-815-992-2297 or via his email: dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com You can Also Visit his website to know more about him at https://herbalistdrkhamcaregiver.simdif.com or https://dr-kham-herbal-home.cms.webnode.page/ and Visit his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/drkhamherbremedies/

    ReplyDelete