Tuesday 27 May 2014

The Citadel Painting Range circa 1989


With the recent release of some repackaged paint sets from GW, with a rather familiar demon on the cover, and a series of postings on the Oldhammer Community Facebook page I thought I'd share these as Old School paint is rather en vogue at the moment. What we have here is one of those '80s adverts that White Dwarf ran that covered all of the major ranges that GW put out. Warhammer got one, so did Warhammer 40,000 as did WFRP and Bloodbowl. 

Over two pages you can see the five major sets and the associated paints in each. Additionally, the information box above gives quite a lot of detail about what each colour was recommended to do. This is really rather useful for those of you trying to capture the 'Old School Look' of the Citadel painters in the late '80s. 

Gotta love that photograph of Mick McVey too! 


Orlygg

9 comments:

  1. My mum got me the Expert paint set on a trip to the UK in the very early 90s, and if I hadn't left it in NZ I'd probably still be using it now nearly 24 years later. That ink was good. I can't remember if I kept saving the box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new box covers have nothing on these. If my maths is correct the old range numbers 45 whereas GW are now trying to flog 144 !!! Also those brushes were terrible (so not much has changed on that front).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've almost run out of my 'expert' inks... clearly don't do enough painting! Hahaha. I do hope GW rerelease inks with nice, rich colours rather than their recent gunge. You're right though Dazza, GW brushes have NEVER been the way forward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My local bookstore used to maintain a small selection of various D&D material back when I was a kid. One day they had scored a few of those boxed sets, along with some blister packs. I grabbed one as fast as I could. I was so thrilled to finally have access to all those funky colours you saw in WD. Even my mom was happy: she no longer had to endure the smell of the enamel paint I had to use before that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm surprised they went with the Golden Demon on the boxes of the new sets, like any of GWs current customer base will know what that is! I was also under the impression that they were in the process of wiping out any trace of classic GW heritage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, some of us older gamers still count ourselves as part of their current customer base!

      Delete
    2. Maybe cos the young 'uns don't paint 'em anymore these days, and its the old fogeys that spend the money to buy paint. If there's one thing GW does well, it's to follow the money trail... :D

      Delete
  7. I was very upset when my bottle of Spear Staff brown dried out... bit of a niche colour I suppose...

    ReplyDelete