Wednesday 7 May 2014

Games Workshop, White Dwarf and... er... knitting patterns?


This popped up on the Facebook Community page and I thought it well worth a quick share. Its an article from http://descansodelescriba.blogspot.co.uk from back in 2012. It concerns an advert run in White Dwarf 71 (that's in 1985 for those of you who don't know) during a craze for popularist knitting patterns for well known programmes and products. Its seems Doctor Who had one, Dangermouse had one and, well yes, White Dwarf had one!

According to the article, they were designed by one Joy Gammon, an author who published a large number of knitting pattern books in the 1980s. Surely, one of these patterns must be the holy grail of Oldhammer clothing? Forget Zhu and his T-Shirts, I predict that this is going to become the NO.1 most wanted outfit for the forthcoming Oldhammer Weekender in August!

Only two gigantic challenges stand before us! 

1) Locating a copy of the knitting pattern some thirty years after it was produced! 

2) Finding someone who would be able to actually knit the thing! 

Better get hunting!

Orlygg.

17 comments:

  1. Hey, what's this "forget about Zhu" stuff lol. And people complain about GW marketing to children now. Just look at those two hipster kids in their ironic knitwear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to organise a pressure group to encourage your shop to produce Oldhammer knitting patterns Zhu, expect a barrage of eager 30 and 40 somethings demanding a suitable jumper by year's end! It makes you wonder who the gentlemen and the boys were, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. It's difficult to express with mere words just how badly I want one of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prepare for the global domination of the Knithammer (or should that be KnitDwarf?) Movement in the coming days! I too want one of these. I feel my hobby life will not be complete until I can feel that static crackle as I pull on one of these jumpers.

      Delete
  3. I have a freind who is getting back into knitting! get me the pattern someone!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I foresee a new eBay search term becoming popular - 'White Dwarf Knitting Pattern'!

      Delete
  4. That's a glorious piece of woolwork! If that pattern does resurface then I may have finally found a use for my mother in law!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rather panicked by this for I fear there is no-one in my immediate family who can knit!

      Delete
  5. That's awesome!
    My other half wants that pattern from somewhere. She's really into Knitting, Crochet and other yarn-crafts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you could combine the two? Old school lead and old school knitting?

      Delete
  6. Same here - my wife can do me one for my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want one in pink... what? There's nothing wrong with pink! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude, that "Wool-Power" pun is obscene.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahmagerd!!! I Needs IT!!!

    Too bad I started buying WD with issue 76... doh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey guys, did anyone find this pattern? My grandma is totally up for knitting me one 👍

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just find the image and use this http://www.theknittingsite.com/knitpro/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,

    I am also trying to track down this knitting pattern. Did you have any luck finding it?

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete