Sunday, 20 September 2015

A Tale of Four Oldhammer Gamers Week 3

It certainly was an interesting week. You see, the wife only went and fell over and fractured her elbow causing quite a palaver in the process... Nurgle must be pleased with the subsequent suffering she endured as I managed to find some time yesterday to get some paint on this month's project: the classic Nurgle Palanquin. 

If you are late to the party, you may not know that alongside some esteemed fellows of the Oldhammer Community (okay, not that esteemed) we are attempting our version of the iconic 'Tale of Four Gamers' that appeared in White Dwarf many years ago (and was actually worth reading, I might add). My partners in grime are; the well groomed and virile Paul Mitchell, at the Black Hole, the bacon-wrapped and hunky Chico, of Oldhammer on a Budget, and the quiet one (read, most likely to be a strange deviant when the truth comes out) Mr Steve, aka The Citadel Collector, aka bridgendsteve aka whatever alias he has chosen this week to cover his tracks, Casey of Eldritch Epistles. 

As you can see, I have managed to get the first part of my painting project completed - the nurglings. And boy was this a tough task. There are all manner of yucky little creatures piled up on top of each other here and approaching such a mass of daemonic flesh was daunting indeed. I opted to continue with my speed painting technique and chose to keep the colour of the daemons the same. This would save time and allow me to get the base completed by the end of this weekend. 

I based the squabbling buggers with goblin green and then washed over the lot with a dark green/black ink wash. Once dry, I created a base colour by mixing goblin green together with the green ink and coated all of the nurglings as best I could. I used Foundry's Boneyard light shade to create the highlights by gradually adding the colour to the original mix. 

It took ages to paint them all I can tell you!

Once I was happy with the green, I moved on to painting the eyes. Red was the obvious choice (as it contrasts nicely with green) and I used a dark red to dot out the eyeballs in the eyes of those daemons who seemed to have them. Over the top of this, I attempted a brighter red dot which I highlighted with pure yellow. The effect is quite pleasing I think - and makes the nurglings look like they have burning coal like eyes! I finished off the little details quite quickly - with purple for lips and intestines and yellowy white for the horns. 

Looking at the next part of the model - the chair itself - it was clear that I would need to finish off the base before I continued. I'd imagine that sanding and painting the base would be rather difficult with the complete model put together. I opted for brown over my usual green to create a distinct colour difference between the nurglings and the ground. 

The poles that the daemons hold aloft are still WIP by the way, and they shall be worked up as I paint the chair. I plan to stick down the next part of the model to continue working on it shortly, but with a huge pile of school work to do today I fear it will have to wait until next week. Still, I am confident I can get the model complete before the end of the month. 

Until next time, 



  1. Fantastic! Looking forward to see the finished one! /Hans

    1. Thanks Don - I think it will be a while, there is so much detail on the model it's incredible!

  2. They look gorgeous. Well, not gorgeous. You know what I mean. Attractively nurgliffic.

    1. There is still a bit to do with them. A few grot washes and the like.

  3. Airbrush is good on nurglings, easy shading can be done because all the models are so close, the lighter colours can highlight straight out of the airbrush, leaving the recesses dark.