Saturday 12 September 2015

A Tale of Four Oldhammer Gamers: Week 2


Good morning all (well, it is as I type) and apologies for the lack of posts recently, but it's been back to school with a resounding workload increase. Subsequently I haven't done much since that last post in this series beyond clean up a few models. As you can see in the picture, I have my palanquin stripped and ready for painting. 

And what a task that was!

When I bought the model a few years back it looked undercoated in white. I am not sure what was used but it took repeated soakings in Dettol and frantic scrubbings to get the pieces clean and ready. It's a beautiful, beautiful model packed with detail and I didn't want anything looking clogged and untidy. 

Then my daughter, who is three, decided to paint the palanquin herself when I was at school, wrecking every one of my paint brushes and covering the nurglings in more glop. So it was off to eBay to buy a fresh set of brushes and a return to the Dettol for the model. 

Not a great start!

As you can see, there are also a couple of skeletons I picked up recently which will make there way (hopefully) into the army at some point as plague skeletons. 


Plan to approach painting the model in three stages. First, the nurglings, then the seat itself followed by the champion and his banners. If you look closely at the banners you can see that they are still a bit clogged with white paint! What ever the idiot who owned the model before me did, its very hard to undo! 

I hope to start the nurglings today and get them finished by the end of the weekend. You may well have noticed that Chico has already completed work on some of his pieces for this project, so follow the link if you haven't seen his latest update. 

Orlygg. 

8 comments:

  1. Waiting to see palaquin painted :D
    Mine is just getting dust in the display case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be waiting a while. I have just managed to get the nurglings undercoated and washed this weekend with a packed week ahead.

      Delete
  2. Looking forwar to seeing what you do with this figure. Like Demi noted I too have one sitting around waiting to be painted. I just need inspiration to paint mine up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The model deserves a quality paintjob. There are so many tiny details that are worth picking out properly. If I cannot get it finished before the end of September I will not be rushing it. I might move on to something more achievable! (:

      Delete
  3. This sounds like an advert but really isn't - try biostrip. I recently bought a load of old Lotr and Blood Bowl minis that had had paint applied with a trowel and it lifted it right off. So much easier than dettol. http://critfailure.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/stripperiffic.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not the first person to recommend biostrip to me, so I shall have to investigate this new product further now you mention it. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  4. Pfft...."week 2" he says...all I see is some bare metal and a bit of whinging... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you loved a 'bit of bare metal?'

      Delete