Sunday 20 April 2014

A Warhammer Bestiary: Gnome


More Bank Holiday painting. This time, a gnome. I really do like this strange, little range from the mid '80s sculpted by Trish Morrison. Amusing, characterful and collectible. Gnomes are another one of the missing races that make early versions of Warhammer so interesting and varied. 

This example even has an official name! Norris Sureshot. And deadly he looks too with that crossbow at the ready. He is easy to find amongst the C11 Gnomes. 


The miniature gave me an opportunity to work on faces again. And I continued to work with the new red/chestnut ink wash that I have been developing for faces and skin. The hair was more of a challenge as the sculpting is rather rough and ready really. Still, brown inks and white paint have produced a rather grizzled appearance which I feel suits this old campaigner. 


There were some other lovely touches to work with too. The hat is the classic felt job that alludes ever so slightly to Robin Hood ( the boy who never grew up, rather than Tim Pollard) and so I painted it a suitably foresty green, complete with a red feather! As he is an archer, or sorts, I had a quick look on-line for the outfits that medieval crossbowmen wore and copied the quilted jacket accordingly. The red leather belt contrasted nicely with the colour I ended up with, but as painting for me is more of an exploration, this was more due to luck than judgement! 

The crossbow was painted in my usual way for wood now, chestnut ink mixed in with a chosen brown and highlighted slowly with beige. I wasn't quite sure what exactly was tied onto the Gnome's trousers, but considering that they are tied on I painted them as old armour. The shoes were rather simple orange leather jobs, again highlighted with beige being added to the mix. 


So a quick evening's leisure has helped by produce a funny little character perfect for odd scenarios and battles. 

Goblins next!

Orlygg

12 comments:

  1. That is a nice little (hehe) paint job there. Never really paid much attention to gnomes before but this has me intrigued. Looks like he's going to try and mend that broken fence with his crossbow. No gnome! You need a hammer! Or string.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see him as a doughty defender of his onion patch. There is no way those halfling kids are going to get amongst them again! He is a wonderful character model is he not?

      Delete
  2. Great little figure of a neglected race. Heritage did some very nice gnomes in their Dungeon Dweller range and Asgard a Gnome adventurer which might fit in well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those tips. I shall explore further. I am hoping to persuade Mick Leach to commission Kev Adams to make a new range of gnomes, including evil ones!

      Delete
  3. Great work. Gnomes are really a neglected race. The range had some really characterful models in it. Sadly GW dropped them out like so many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But they are still out there, preserved in lead for us to track down and breathe new life into. Go forth and find those gnomes!

      Delete
  4. Excellent work as usual. The citadel gnomes are fantastic figures - pity they went the way of the dodo. I've nearly collected the lot but haven't gotten around to painting any of them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have two and would love to buy more, if only they came up more often for sale. ):

      Delete
  5. Great little model. Never knew such a range of models existed, and it's a real shame that GW have stopped producing gnomes. Ah well.

    Anyway, I'm here to inform you that you've been nominated for the Liebster Awards! For more information, follow the link: http://questing-artificer.blogspot.ch/2014/04/6-liebster-award.html

    Cheers,

    Q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! I better find out what I have to do next then!

      Delete
  6. Ah! The GOOD old times... Before greed and compulsive focus on Chaos vs Empire spoiled so much. I really hadn't expected to ever-again see any traces of it before my real Death. Have Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who can recommend to me the best product among those in the list on this site?
    Go away gnomes

    ReplyDelete