Sunday 26 March 2017

Space Marine 1989: Painted Land Raider and Rhino Test Pieces


Despite the combination of Mother's Day lunch and four pints of real ale earlier today, I still found time to finish off my first Space Marine vehicles. Initially I was apprehensive about painting these up as tiny, weeny vehicles are about as far from my comfort zone as it is possible to go. But using the exact same technique as the infantry stands, the two models were quickly complete. 

My method is very straight forwards. Undercoat in white, base coat in Sky Blue B from Foundry, wash over in black ink, drybrush back over with the basecolour and end with two successive highlights mixed with white. I used yellow as a spot colour here and there for the lights.

As of yet, I haven't added any symbols or markings on the vehicles as they don't seem as plain as the infantry models once complete. I probably will though soon, when the beer goggles and Sunday lunch has worn off a little more. A shaking hand is no use when working on such a small scale. 

In addition, I have cleaned up some of my old school epic metal marines and built four support stands using the missile launcher models and two command stands. These await my attentions next time I have a moment or ten to myself. 

The painting is a bit sloppy in places (no doubt my technique will improve as I knock out more vehicles) but they seem suitably eye catching from about two or three feet away. I hope that you like them! Of course, if you have any fine hints and tips for the painting of these epic scale vehicles, please do let me know!

Orlygg

8 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying your approach to these Epic pieces.The paint schemes and style really play well for the scale. I'm getting an itch to start painting some epic myself now.
    Cheers
    Ths

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that my endeavours are encouraging you to think EPIC. There is no place for precise painting techniques with these little models, just speed and a consistent approach. The thought of lavishing hours over 320 tiny marines, 36 rhinos and 16 land raiders is enough to send anyone barmy. I doubt very much if I will paint everything in the box, and I will try and produce the bare minimum to play a decent game.

      Delete
  2. Those look well... ummm... proper Epic. Yes I went there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh to be in the EPICentre of your sense of humour, Chico. (You see what I did there?)

      Delete
    2. Did I see what you did there? No.. what I miss? ;) hehe. Also if you are after some of those cardboard/plastic roof epic buildings I have a few (10-15) that we could work out a trade for :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks of thinking of me and my needs (first time for everything!!) but I have plenty of buildings, cheers anyway Chico-Chops! xx

      Delete