Sunday 15 January 2017

Colleges of Colour Magic: Celestial Wizard



It's been a long time since I posted anything here, and longer still since paint met brush at my work station. My absence from anything Oldhammer, beyond a few minor admin duties online, has been far too long and has been caused by illness. At least I now know what is up, having previously been told I was suffering from a hernia, and I am waiting my date to go under the knife. I have found sitting, even for a short time, quite uncomfortable and concentrating on painting intricate Citadel miniatures to an acceptable result, impossible! 

In the interim I have taken up cooking. I have learnt how to make a roux, butterfly chicken and use a plethora of new spices. My wife and I have never eaten better! Miniature modelling and cooking have much in common - selecting colours, fine knifework and success through careful preparation and planning just three. Still, its hard seeing others base out quality figures while you stand idle. 

However, having implemented several lifestyle changes since my diagnosis, the discomfort of sitting down has decreased and I decided to have a go at knocking out a miniature this morning. I set myself a limit of two hours painting time, with plenty of getting up and pacing about and the Arabian wizard you see before you is the result! 

I am very pleased with him, having thought that my skills would have gone soft. He is of course one of the Citadel/Foundry 'Time Warped Wizards' that were released last summer at Oldhammer IV, and which have since become part of the Warmonger range. He has all the trappings of a celestial wizard; telescope, pince-nez and astronomical symbols on his attire. 


According to the Collages of magic article I am using as inspiration for this project, celestial wizards are rather ostentatious in dress, flamboyant in speech and delicate in general disposition. In most cases, this manifests itself in grace and fine manners. The popular view of the college across the Old World is slightly different with celestials being portrayed as overdressed fools who spend a fortune on fine foods, majestic wines and finely wrought artwork - they sound uncomfortably like the author of this blog!!

Whatever their personality type, celestial wizards are rarely seen during the day as they are said to dislike bright lights. Being obsessed with the heavens means that celestial wizards are in high demand for horoscopes and are said to be able to determine astral events with absolute accuracy.

So plenty of background material for games! 

Orlygg

11 comments:

  1. Good to have you back! Sorry to hear you have been unwell. Very best wishes for a successful recovery and more Oldhammering in 2017! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. StuntCat. I am sure that I will managed an oldhammer or two in the near future!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back, and nicely done as always! Good luck with the hernia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great mini and lovely paintjob :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers chap, though I could have done better with hindsight - but isn't that the story with every model?

      Delete
  4. What a spectacular and colorful wizard, very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil - using the Colleges really helps with the colour schemes - here's hoping that when I line all of the models in this range for the final 'project complete' photograph they don't all look a horrible mess!

      Delete
  5. Good luck! You will soon come back to your miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have managed to complete two more models this week and have just received my next project in the post! Still going strong!

      Delete