Saturday 8 August 2015

A Cabinet for my Citadel


A welcome sight on my arrival back from Newark was a cardboard flat pack. It was the display cabinet my wife had ordered from IKEA as she had finally tired of the Welsh Dresser being used as a miniature store. Truth be told, it was also a haven for dust and cleaning hundreds of painted miniatures was bit of a task!

Putting the piece of furniture together was a bit of a task too and there was a number of times a glass pane threatened to fall out and smash across the floor. But with the cabinet completed, the wife ordered it to the corner of the room and I commenced shifting my painted collection over. 


Everything inside the cabinet comes from my Oldhammer phase which started in July in 2011 so represents four years work. The top shelf, shown above, contains my McDeath painted collection (and associated models - such as the treemen and barbarians) as well as my Foundry/Citadel Baron's War figures and a few other odds and sods. Can you find the limited released White Dwarf miniature in there? 


The bulk of my Khorne and Slaanesh Realm of Chaos stuff adorns the second shelf. Hidden behind the Slake-Sin banner lurks the mighty Spined Dragon I restored the other year. Can you spot the zoat hiding away somewhere?


More Realm of Chaos stuff has spread to the third tier along with my embryonic undead army and the bits of pieces of the goblinoid force I have painted over the last four years. There is a more modern wood elf in the centre of the picture, sent to me by the former 'Eavy Metal painter, Andy Craig, after I interviewed him. 


At the moment I am using the final shelf as a store for scenery, though four Dark Future cars, a Forge World Keeper of Secrets (painted in 2010) and a Bretonnian sorceress painted in 1997 - for an long departed university girlfriend who had the forethought to leave this model behind with her when she left! 

If you are interested in looking at a cabinet like this one for your own collection then follow the link. This one cost us £40, which is a reasonable price to pay I suppose and seems rather sturdy now that I have tightened up all of the screws. Of course, now that I no longer have to worry about dust I have to worry about the cabinet falling down and destroying my collection. 

But ho hum!

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80269122/

18 comments:

  1. I've got the same exact cabinet! Been pleased with mine since I got it, although it's now overflowing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having the same problem already. I would just buy another but delivery is as expensive as the cabinet itself! ):

      Delete
  2. And I have that cabinet too! Also filled to overflowing. By the way, I really like your giants and ents at the back of the shelf. Great minis, great paint jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words about my giants and treeman. Both were a real struggle to get right I can tell you.

      Delete
  3. The thought of a cabinet collapse is the stuff of nightmares... Great stuff, lovely to see it all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have Dreams about lying in bed and hearing the splintering crash below. Fingers crossed it never happens.

      Delete
    2. The only cause of a cabinet like this collapsing that I've ever heard of was because the metal side pieces were put on in reverse, with the horizontal bars on the outside. This meant the glass shelves could slip off the bars and fall down. It's the first thing I checked about your installation, it looks like yours is assembled correctly however :)

      Delete
  4. IKEA is pretty handy for gaming stuff. These make excellent, warp-resistant gaming boards: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00251338/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh it was only a matter of time before your wife gave in and let you have a cabinet :), Now to start begging for a 2nd? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She prefers this I think, over the Welsh dresser. Even my sister in law admired the collection! I would get another but the delivery takes the piss.

      Delete
  6. James that looks totally amazing! Now I want to go away and paint everything I have...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get to it Steve. Then you could do an entire army of giants. Paul would love that!

      Delete
  7. Those Ikea cabinets were made for displaying figs. Have had two for years and will be requiring a third before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got this same cabinet and I'm getting a second. There's lots of fancy mods out there, from adding shelves, to making it tighter or adding fans to avoid dust. But I find the cabinet is just fine as-is and you can't beat the price. IkeaHammer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there were mods out there. Though fiddling around might cause the dreaded shelf collapse so I doubt I'd dabble.

      Delete
  9. Here is a mod article from Dakka.. Adds more shelves, dust protection, and some lighting. Does not seem too hard, although I have not done it.

    ReplyDelete