Yesterday, I spoke about it being half-term for me. I have been rather swamped by work, life and illnesses and the following ten days of holiday are very much welcome. My painting station has done little but collect dust since the New Year, with a number of unfinished miniatures propping it up. So after an episode of Birds of a Feather (ITV) and a glorious hour with the BBC's new Musketeers drama series with the wife, I settled down amongst the clutter in my corner and got to work. A slow and leisurely morning also helped me get these on the shelf too.
Firstly, I got this classic Jes Goodwin champion completed. Originally, this was just going to be a touch up job as this figure was one of the first I knocked out when I went 'Old School' in 2011. Obviously, my painting skill and colour palette has changed some what since then and I felt that this model was looking rather out of place. Long term readers may recognise this model as the one I used to represent Slakesin the Fondler during my RoC campaign. Eventually, my quick brush and touch up ended up with a total repaint and I added lots of pastel pinks and greens to help it fit alongside some of my more recent Slaanesh stuff. I am rather pleased with the result, those I don't like the sword as much as the original scheme but you cannot have everything.
Next to finish was this Chaos Warrior, also by Jes Goodwin, and a variant on Slambo it seems. I was fairly familiar with much of this model (and the boots are almost exactly them same as the first Old School model I painted) so the paint went on easily. I used purple for the chainmail because I was tired of just doing green or metallic shades. I used a little gold though, on the rim around the helmet, to tie in the minimal touch of gold that many of the other Slaanesh models I have finished have. Two cheeky pink pieces of armour were the finishing touches. They almost look like chaos boobs do they not?
I wasn't in the mood for intricate work, so knocked out a quick twenty minute shield for this warrior. Instead of just using the face, I experimented with the Slaanesh symbol on the forward of the leering visage and used pink washes to try and make it appear as if the symbol is branded on to the head of the image. Not sure how successful it was, but the colours certainly help tie everything together.
By the time I blocked out the colours for this figure, I had settled on a hotch-potch of green, pink, purple, blue and black, chased with a little gold for the armour. I continued to use gold in tiny places, like the collar around the model's neck and the inserts of the shoulder armour. I spent a little longer on the face, highlight ing flesh up to white to get that pale and perverse look (see me in the winter) and used a nice shade of black to add depth to the eyes and tongue. I rather like using yellow and black for eyes at the moment, perhaps due to teaching my Year 2 class all about Aztec masks this term, and added them to this model. I particularly like the face on this one, again another classic by Jes Goodwin, and enjoyed painting it.
Strange pose alert! This model, and I am not sure who the sculptor was, has one of those '80s strange poses that you only seem to get from Citadel. I followed up on my hotch-potch colour scheme here, but added a lot more black. It took me a while to get the face finished, though to be honest, by this point I was cutting corners as I wanted to get on with the shield and close the project. I added a red wash to the yellow eye thing that I have going on at the moment, and this resulted in a far more angrier finish for the face, which I liked. I opted for a totally black sword with a grey edge highlight as I am sick of metallic weapons on chaos warriors at the moment.
The shield on this model was stuck on my a previous owner in the depths of history with some pretty nasty two part resin glue by the looks of things. So rather than cut away the shield, I just painted it in situ. Inspired by eye shields of yesterday I just had a play around with a few colours and had this after about fifteen minutes. Not brilliant by a long way, and rather cartoony, but I learnt a bit about doing 'eye shield' designs and will probably return to them some time in the future when I am willing to commit more time to a design.
Finally, a chaos hound. I painted this one quite a while ago for my Khorne army, but the green came out differently than I'd intended, making this canine more suited to the pleasure god. I added the dots to the scorpion tail and the patches on the animal's fur last night as I felt it helped break up the green coat. I like the result, and I hope you do too. The idea for the way the pattern spreads was inspired by my mother-in-law's Jack Russell dogs.
Right, with these models finished its time for 'something completely different'... Actually, not just yet, as I have my scenery project to finish too. Well, I have nothing really planned for this afternoon so I hope to share with you the first stage tomorrow.