Saturday 23 February 2019

Citadel C18 Zombie 'Snagglespleen'



Sticking with the undead theme (they are fairly forgiving on slap-dash painting technique) I managed to paint up this model since my last post. He is Snagglespeen, from the 1986 zombie range, and was sculpted by Kevin Adams. 

You can see him bottom left on this old flyer advertisment. 


As before, I battled to keep my hand steady the whole time (as you can see from some of the edge highlights on the clothing) but I am pleased with the result. I have always felt the secret to a good painted figure is getting the colour scheme right, and using appropriate tones to shade up or down. As I was working on a proper rotter, I chose earthy, graveyard colours along with a dirty white for the hair. 

All the colours you can see here are mixed from two or three commercial paints to create the base colour, then washed over with a variety of products (mostly the old GW washes) and then highlighted up with Foundry Boneyard B and C. I always add these in small increments to try and avoid bleaching out the colour too much, though on a long dead zombie such bleaching can be appropriate if handled properly. 


I was pleased with the skintone. I used an old Warpaints green, mixed with a little Foundry Expert Flesh D to create my own version of the classic GW paint, Rotting Flesh. I mixed in small amounts of Expert Flesh E to highlight the raised areas and used pure Expert Flesh F to pick out the highlights. Skull white was used to pick out the teeth and complete the filthy hairdo. I washed over both with a little Badab Black to add a little grim to both areas. 

All in all, a great fun figure to paint up over a hour or two. I am sure that I Rotstagger and Skew Smee somewhere in the leadpile somewhere, so I may well add to this range in future. A second zombie, as of yet unidentified, was unearthed alongside this chap and he is also nearly finished. He requires a shield to be added on so I might have a crack a some simple freehand after all. 

Orlygg

10 comments:

  1. Good to see the blog active again the two zombies turned out great. Looking forward to seeing more painted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian. Currently painting another zombie up as I type. I am going to have a crack at a freehand shield design!

      Delete
  2. It is great to see you blogging again, and of course painting. Great work on the Zombies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeg. I am glad you think the zombies look okay. (:

      Delete
  3. Hope to see new Games Workshop plastic zombies inspired by (probably the best zombies ever) old ones!!

    ReplyDelete