Saturday 28 May 2016

A Tale of Four Oldhammer Gamers: May


Hello again dear readers. It has been some time since I last posted here (or anywhere in fact) I know, and things will remain sporadic at best over the next couple of months I am afraid. There is a great deal going on in my personal and working life at the moment and opportunities for Oldhammering are few and far between. Luckily, I was able to spend the entire day today (bar the time to complete the usual household chores) sitting at at a rather cramped and temporary painting station hopelessly daubing paint onto a couple of vintage Citadel models. 


The first of my endeavours to see completion was this rather nice Warrior Troll (check out this blogpost for more detail about troll typography) I have had in my collection for sometime. He had the misfortune to be undercoated and based some months previously, but I never quite managed to get beyond the 'picking him up and looking at him' stage. Wanting to tackle something 'big' (by this I mean easy) after a month or more away from the brushes, I decided to include him in my Nurgle army. 


Nurgle is a very forgiving master when painting. Dribbly bits, messy brushwork and peculiar blobbing all fit the Father of Flies' style perfectly, so the rusty painter is wonderfully supported when working on miniatures in his ilk. I used the some green recipe I have been mucking about with recently for the skin and used drybrushing and washing for the rest of the model. I was very pleased with the rust effect I achieved using a orange paint/chestnut ink wash but my dodgy photograph above doesn't really do it justice. 

This model will represent a minor troll hero in my army and will weigh in at 115 points. Despite the stupidity risk, trolls can do incredible damage in games and can of course regenerate too. Perfect attributes for a small, elite army like mine. The heavy plate and mail gives a better armour save than usual too. 


The second model I worked on came from an aborted Nurgle army I started three years or so ago. Originally, I was going to use this figure as part of a wider Nurgle force once A Tale of Four Oldhammer Gamers was over. However, my painting has moved on since he was completed and looked rather shocking in comparison with my more recent work. This came as a surprise really, as I had considered this figure's paint job one of my all time best. It was originally painted at a time I used a great deal of white to highlight models and this resulted in quite chalky, pale finishes rather than the inky brightness of my recent work. So, I decided to repaint him. Being pressed for time, I opted to just paint over the top of my earlier work rather than stripping him completely. I kept much of the original paint scheme too, though the skull, armour and flesh have all seen extensive reworking. 


He now fits in with my other Nurgle pieces very well. I unearthed another five poorly painted Bob Olley Nurgle beastmen alongside him too. These poor mutants have never even graced a gaming table as far as I can recall. They are now awaiting repainting in the near future. Well, relatively near future! Perhaps by the end of June?

Back on topic, this beastman will lead a unit of seven models and has been beefed up as a Pestigor Champion in heavy armour and wielding a double handed weapon. He weighs in at around 60 points by my reckoning and he brings my total to 175 points this month. 

Not bad for a day's work. 

Orlygg. 

8 comments:

  1. Nice paint jobs. I have to admit to liking Nurgle too. Partially because he fits alongside my Rats nicely but also because of the painting style you mention, this just simply IS my painting style 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be so hard on yourself, my friend. Painting rank upon rank of skaven horde requires a certain slapdash approach, otherwise you end up with an even bigger pile of unpainted models that ususal. Oh, and no army.

      Delete
  2. Lovely(?) looking beastman sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I realise now I should have taken a snap of him before repainting.

      Delete
  3. NIce work. A word of caution on the troll though - the armour negates the regeneration rule pursuant to page 240 of the WFB 3rd edition rules. Basically means armour isn't worth it. You could always assume the figure isn't armoured as it would be a shame not to field such a cool model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Nathan - it's my army and my game so I will just change the rules to suit the lovely model. Steve, Chico and Paul will all be too drunk/hungover when we play they will probably won't notice! (;

      Delete
  4. I love that style of troll. Trolls are a must have for any self respecting evil overlord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And any self respecting commander if they can sneak 'em on! (:

      Delete