Thursday, 30 July 2026

A Second Summer of Citadel: A Host of Horrors with Vampira, Devil Attacking, Werewolf 2 and Wolfman

 


Hey all, how are you doing? Is the paint on the tip of your brush drying at an alarming rate as you try desperately to blend the red on that cloak? Welcome to the endless, English summer. Even though it has been a week I have been busy restoring, sorting and painting those classic Citadel figures. As always I have a couple of projects on the go simultaneously... Vampira was the first to see completion. 

Over the last few months I've been buying up a fair few models in the Night Horrors range and painting them up. A Werebear, another vampire and of course the snakish Medusa figure. Vampira is another one of that classic range and strikes a rather strange pose. There is more of a whiff of '50s and '60s old horror films about her but after some research into these tropes I ended up ignoring them all. I've done black and grey to death recently and wanted something different to work with. Recalling Stoker's Dracula novel and the 'Bloofer Lady' I wanted to go for something a bit more glamourous. So pink it was!

Later on, when researching this post I checked out the model on Sodemons and saw that the late Orclord's example was also pretty in pink. So great minds clearly think alike. I went with an sickly green skin this time, rather than my usual blue vampire flesh. It gives her a more spectral look I think. She has a rather wonky tilt to her, which you can see in other completed versions of her. I think this is due to her base being really rather small. Forty odd years can be rough on a girl... or she's just had too much to drink.... (;

What do you reckon?


With Vampira in the bag it was time to clean up some of my other painted Night Horrors. Devil Attacking is shown here (also known as Daemon 3) and had suffered some serious scratching to his legs front and back. A quick touch of Blood Red soothed his devilish wounds, especially around the knees. It is hard to see from this angle but he is holding a bleached skull in his claw and his Bestial Brown drybrushed tail with the other. Not the most striking Devil in the citadel range but a characterfully goofy one. 


Werewolf 2 had no damage save the need to clean up his base. There was a sticky, painters fingerprint smeared across the black. Something I'd clearly done way back in the day when I first painted this chap. Back then, I used to take scenic shots back in the garden so perhaps I was hasty in my eagerness to finish him. This figure, like Vampira, has the obvious nod to the horror classics. You have expect that head to pop off to  reveal some 1950s chap eager for a fag and a swig of mild ale. I painted him up rather fleshy back in the day didn't I? And in truth, the figure doesn't have a whole lot of hair for a true werewolf. He does have a modesty patch over his sensitive area that looks viable enough for an episode of Jilly Cooper's Rivals. I have little memory of painting him though I do like the yellow eyes I've given him... very wolf like. 



Finally, Wolfman. A figure very obviously linked to the famous film of 1941, though rocking more of a 1950s vibe. Funny how these creatures of uncontrolled evil never lose their trousers, though by the looks of things Wolfman is trying his best to audition for mid '80s Guns 'n' Roses here as he's forgotten to do up his slacks and they look likely to slither down to his ankles at a moment's notice. Risky for anyone, let alone a hungry creature of the night. Again, this figure had seen little on no damage but had splodges of paint along the black rim of the base. Easy to fix up.

Right, what to paint next?

Orlygg

1 comment:

  1. One of my favourite ranges. Have you got the really big werewolf as well? I’ll have to get Iain to take a group snap of all the ones I sold him (maybe I do regret selling them now…slightly)

    ReplyDelete