Tuesday 7 April 2020

Raiders of the Lost Oldhammer!


Long time no blog.

Its been well over a year since I posted anything here. I have been totally out of the Oldhammer 'thing' and many other 'things' besides. The reasons were manifold and irrelevant to this website but with the lockdown starting to drag and a sense of solidarity spreading through disprate grognards, I thought it apt to return. 

I hadn't painted anything for some time. Looking past all the spam (and boy, there was a lot of it to clear from my last post about the Spined Dragon) I last tangled with a 'hairy wand' in March last year and that was to just blob a few dollops of green paint on a draconid and do a little restorative drybrushing. I wouldn't call that real painting...

So that takes me back to 'Kand-Meet' in February last year. A long time by anyone's standard. I endeavoured over the last few days to paint something up. This post is the sequel to that! As you can see, I chose a Foundry 'squig-hopper' figure given to me by Kev Adams. It had been lying around for a couple of years in a fruit bowl after the Goblinmaster himself produced it from a pocket at Salute along with some other odds and ends. 

On a whim, I set to work. This proved to be a bit of a challenge as being in lockdown means you can't just pop out for new supplies. I managed to locate some of my old paints (some had dried, though not the '80s ones strangely enough) and a few battered brushes. Sitting in the sun, which also proved a challenge as the paint dries so fast on the palette, as my lamp is long gone I finished this tiny chap over a couple of days. 

I hope you like him? I was worried that my skills would have declined over the time away but I found that miniature painting is much like riding a bicycle (or making love to a beautiful woman, if you recall the Fast Show) - you never forget! I have further figures on my to do pile and I hope to be able to share a few more of them in the days to come.

Until then. Stay at Home. Protect the NHS. Save Lives. And Paint Miniatures....

Orlygg

31 comments:

  1. Welcome back from the mists. I think your painting skills have not suffered in your enforced absence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil... I am glad you feel that the old skills have not suffered. Though I am playing to my strengths with a model like this!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back. It looks great, love the blues on the squig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foundry Blue Sky, with a little bone added for the final highlight. Very rich colours from that range of paints.

      Delete
  3. Good to see you (and your squig) back in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I better not tell too many people that I am showing off my squig! (;

      Delete
  4. Good to see you back. I follow your blog alread quite some years but so far never gave any feedback. Glad to see new articles. I myself only started painting miniatures (though not (much) Oldhammer) during the last 5 years but that was mainly a budget reason. I did see them (the great WH miniatures) during my youth in the eighties and early nineties but they were out of my reach. Catched up now and your blog was a great source of information on items I clearly missed
    Great colouring on the squig indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that RoC80s has been a useful resource, especially as its been inactive for so long. Glad you like the squig. I found some more today and will be painting them up soon.

      Delete
  5. Great work - and great to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! Good to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Orlygg, welcome back! Great mini and you're right about 'riding a bike', lol...

    Glad to see you online again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Russkymc. It certainly all comes back, just not in the way you want it to! (:

      Delete
  8. Great to see you back in action and smashing job on that squig hopper! It seems this pandemic is having a great restorative effect on us lapsed blogger - long may it continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Steve. yes, looks like I have a lot of quality reading to do. Could this be the dawning of another golden age?

      Delete
  9. Welcome back ! Good to see u again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to have you back! I started to think that something happend to you. I really missed your blogging.

    Delete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Radek... something did happen to me... but its over now and the blog has returned. Hopefully with more consistent updates (:

      Delete
  11. So good to see have 'hopped' back into painting and posting! Have missed your updates during your down time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found another one of these the other day... from the same batch of odds and ends from Kev's pockets. I think red for the squig next time... nice and traditional.

      Delete
  12. Happy to see your return to the blog! I, too, have found that lots of my original GW paints are still fine but the more recent ones dry up very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you having issues in your relationship, or finding it difficult to have a child of your own or are you the type having any diseases in your body. I will advice you to contact Dr. Abolo of Abolospell@gmail.com . The potency of his spell is so effective and can reunite broken relationship and can also make one get pregnant know matter the situation and not only that, he also has the power to cure all type of diseases within the period of 48hours.. Contact him today and thank me later.

    Contact details : Abolospell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete