Sunday 14 July 2013

Two carts and a temporary relocation

Plenty of light here for painting. Nothing like a natural source.

This is one of those 'I am not dead' posts. All miniature and blog related work has ceased due to a temporary change in circumstance too dull to explain here. All that needs to be said is that my usual painting area has been blocked by tradesmen and I have little access to my collection. Thankfully, I have a portable kit box that I was able to salvage and move into another room and have just received two lovely purchases from eBay this week to get working on. As you can see above I have made myself a little Oldhammer area out of the way from the wife and kids and should be able to get some pieces done over the next week or so.

I am setting myself a challenge. I am calling it the 'Two Carts Challenge' and with it I hope to break the nearly three month painting hiatus that has gripped me recently. The carts in question can be found below.

 

On the left we have the famous Plague Cart, which I discussed some time ago while on the right, the famous, in collecting circles only it seems, Adventurers Cart. I was aware of both pieces for some years but it was only when I dismantled the models that I realised that they share a similar design and the same chassis. The ingenious ways in which Citadel recycled this thisand that back in the 80s always amuses me. Even the skeleton chariot wheels have been reused to add a little undead feel to the Plague Cart.

The adventurers cart is good to go. I have cleaned it up and hope to build it tonight. I will be painting the undead cart later, as the miniature needs a trip down Dettoll Alley before I take up my file with it.

I doubt I'll be able to update for a while, perhaps into late July, but who knows... Next time we talk, I hope to have a completed cart to show off. In the meantime, if you know anything about the adventurers cart models ( as I believe there are a number of versions) please drop the details into the comment section below or email me at the usual address.

I'd love to know more about carts.

Orlygg



6 comments:

  1. Dude, do you live in a castle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at the adventurer's cart chassis and wheels, its the same as Bugman's cart. Painted one up earlier this year. Looking forward to your finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very fine painting room with plenty of natural light... if only...

    Well, nevermind, these carts are absolutely great but I have to say I never understood why they didn't add some sort of yoke to make the chassis stand right on the puller... I had to built one with plasticard but wonder why they never thought of that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Citadel made a few carts in the 80's. Here are some refs to get you going:
    http://www.solegends.com/citcat1990winter/TradeCatWinter1990Pg25-02.htm
    http://www.solegends.com/citads/1987C/index.htm
    http://www.solegends.com/citc/c22adventurerscart.htm

    A few variants were made - I need to get pics of these uploaded at some point.

    They also made baggage trains - essential for those 1000+ points armies :-)
    http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Baggage_Trains_-_Limited_Release

    ReplyDelete
  5. For Gawd's sake don't spill paint on that table (or trim off flash on it etc).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great models, The palgue cart I owe myself, There is a third one sharing similarities. The Bugmans Cart. Some parts are identical. More to the Adventurer cart then the undead one.
    Thanks for showin...

    ReplyDelete